Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online
Edited by George Ritzer, University of Maryland
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online provides an innovative resource for the academic community in sociology. Updated regularly with new material, this vast online library gives instant access to the most authoritative and up-to-date scholarship in the field.
- Since 2007, there have been 19 batches of updates published which have revised 227 online entries and added 90 new entries to the online encyclopedia.
- Use the List of Entries on the left side menu to view a comprehensive list of original, new, and updated entries.
Beginning in October 2015, hundreds of new and revised entries prepared for the forthcoming second edition in print will begin to publish here as online updates to the existing online reference work. Libraries must purchase annual update packages in order to have access to the revised and expanded work publishing online. The second edition in print will be ready for publication in several years.
If you are a scholar or researcher interested in access, please complete our online library recommendation form and notify your librarian.
- Up-to-date: New and updated material added regularly throughout the year
- Specially commissioned entries: Written and edited by an international team of the world's best scholars and teachers
- Comprehensive: Over 1,900 entries of clear, concise, expert definitions, and explanations of the key concepts
- Wide-ranging: Entries range from short definitions of key terms to extended explorations of major topics
- Continuous access: 24/7 access to the most authoritative and up-to-date scholarship in the field of sociology
- Easy-to-use: Extensive cross-referencing and Open URL linking
- Invaluable: Includes a timeline of 600+ key events in the history of sociology
- Easy access for your library: Unlimited, self administered access; industry standard usage reports; MARC records support; and flexible purchase/subscription options